Monday, February 23, 2015

Fear Is A Beacon


I have spent a lot of time in schools and in libraries. As a matter of fact just last night I was at a university library. I was reading Teresa Amabile and Steven Kramer's book The Progress Principle. It is a very interesting book and it disputes a lot of what we think we know. But, that book is not the point of this post.

What I have found, over time, is that scholastic aptitude is not the main determinant of success. Meaning, book smarts do no necessarily translate into success. We all know this. But, have you ever wonder what does lead to success (I usually prefer the word “effectiveness”)? I have wondered that question and I believe the main determinant seems to be how we handle fear. Most people avoid it.

Do you know anyone who is really smart, anyone who talks a big game, but never really accomplishes much? Of course, you do. We all do. Regardless of whatever excuses they may make, what holds that person back is fear. Some might say underachievers simply lack motivation but I do not believe that to be the case.

I agree that lots of people do lack motivation. But why? I believe that fear zaps our motivation. A big problem is that we often do not even realize we are afraid. We simply feel uncomfortable. (This is something I wrote about here) As you know, there are lots of things we fear. But, one of the most insidious forms of fear is doubt. Because we can doubt ourselves and be in complete denial about it.

What is doubt? Well, at least when it comes to success and effectiveness, doubt is basically the fear of failure. We often doubt that we can succeed and that is the same thing as saying we are afraid of failure. All-in-all, fear, in all its various forms, will destroy your life. Because, as Dan Gilbert says, we don't regret the things we do nearly as much as the things we do not do.

What I am saying is, not only should we not avoid the things we fear, I believe we should do the very things we fear. If you fear it, do it. We should actually use fear as a beacon to point us towards the challenges we must attack. Why would we want to do this?

A couple weeks ago I talked about how growth is an imperative of life (Here it is) In addition to that truism, I also believe that humans yearn for freedom. I hope you can agree with me when I say that fear makes slaves of us all. The limits of our courage dictate the limits of our freedom.

So, on the one hand, we want to overcome our fears so we can enjoy the rewarding feelings that come with growth. While, on the other hand, we may want to overcome our fears so we can free ourselves from the mental shackles that hold us down.

Whatever the motivation, I recommend we overcome our fears. Because I believe it is largely fear that zaps our motivation. The fear of failure. The fear of being judged. The fear of being seen to be less than perfect. And on and on and on. My prescription? As counter-intuitive as it is, I recommend we use fear as a beacon to point us in the direction we must travel. Stated differently, get comfortable being uncomfortable or spend the last of your days under the avalanche of regret.