Monday, July 3, 2017

Artificial Intelligence


There is a lot of talk these days about artificial intelligence. It certainly is interesting.

A few weeks ago I predicted that China will not overtake America any time soon (click here) Allow me to make another predication. Artificial intelligence will not replace humans any time soon.

Sure, AI will replace some human activities. But, a big advantage of the human mind is its ability to perceive the world around it.

Computers are great at logic. Humans are great at perception.

And, when it comes to business, and entrepreneurship, perception is much more important than logic.

Sometimes it sure would be nice if a computer could do the hard thinking for us. It cannot. And, I am pretty comfortable saying computers will never be able to replace our job of perceiving the outside world. At least not in our lifetimes.

P.S. I am well aware of the commercials IBM is running about "Watson." I am also aware that Watson won at Jeopardy.

But, think about it. Jeopardy is about the past and business is about the future. And, when it comes to dealing with the future, humans are still way better than bots.

P.P.S. I know artificial intelligence has a lot of futuristic appeal. Sorry to rain to sexy parade...but, I roll with humans.