Monday, June 26, 2017

A Tribute to an Iconoclast


I know, I know. Surely the label iconoclast gets thrown around too easily. Sometimes it is even used as a marketing term.

However, I feel very strongly that the world lost an iconoclast this past Thursday. What? You may say. I did not hear anything. Exactly!

Perhaps the greatest evidence for being an iconoclast is that people do not pay enough attention.

Whom do I speak of? I am talking about Dr. John E. Sarno of New York.

I never met Dr. Sarno, in the flesh. But, I feel like I know him through his writing. This is a man who truly had the courage of his convictions. Which is a lot tougher than one might imagine.

In a medical world ruled by Cartesian dualism, Sarno was willing to bridge the gap. He was a bridge which was, unfortunately, mistreated and neglected.

Western medicine is ruled by this dualism which states that the mind is separate from the body. In a strict sense, this is true. However, with regards to the gestalt, mind and body are inseparably connected.

I know I am using some wonky, nerdy words, in this post. And, I think this is an appropriate time erudition. Because I believe these are subjects people should ponder.

In simple terms, Sarno showed us how the mind and the body are interconnected. You may read that last sentence and be dismissive. Suggesting it is obvious that the mind and body are connected.

While it may seem obvious, this is not an idea accepted by the medical orthodoxy. Thank God Sarno cared so little for the opinions of his peers!

You see, for years I struggled with significant back pain. Today (at times) I still do experience back pain. But, it is never a struggle. Thanks to the teachings of Dr. Sarno, I am in control of my pain.

To my way of thinking, the best I can do, to honor Sarno, is to spread the word. So, I will leave you with two resources.

A few years ago I wrote an overview of Sarno's book The Divided Mind. Click here to read that report. Also, a new documentary has come out about Sarno's work. Click here to watch the trailer on YouTube.

Thanks for the good work, Dr. Sarno 😊