Monday, October 13, 2014

Work Smart or Work Hard? Which One?


Let me ask you a question. What should we do? Should we work smart or should we work hard? I think it's a legitimate question. This seems to be a debate which started back in the 1970's.

In the 70's, like today, colleges were working hard to increase their enrollment numbers. To that end, a campaign was created to preach the message, “Work smart not hard.” As a matter of fact, below is a poster which was produced during said advertising campaign.


As you can clearly see, the poster suggests that going to college is the way to work smart. And, working smart, according to these universities, is preferable to working hard. Grease monkeys be damned.

It's such compelling advice. It contains two elements that seem to have made the advice irresistible. I mean, most people believe that they're smart. Even more, people tend to take pride in their level of intelligent. And, honestly, who wants to work hard if they can help it? Smart, successful and lazy, how is that not a winning combination in the world of advertising?

I think people generally believe that smart work is what the upper-class does. It's more refined and sophisticated. Hard work is for the grunts. It conjures up images of sweat shops and even slavery. So, it only stands to reason that people would want to be viewed as sophisticated rather than as a slave. Thus, it isn't surprising that this old bromide, “Work smart not hard,” has taken such a strong hold.

The only problem is that it's bunk advice. It plays to the wishful side of our brains rather than the side of reason. To be blunt, I find it quite fascinating how often people willingly suspend reason in preference for fantasy. I reckon a guess that the person who proudly boasts, “I work smart, not hard,” also has a copy of The Four-Hour Work Week on his or her shelf. It's basically bull crap. I do understand, once you're successful, you might be able to work only four hours per week. But, to get to that level of success you're going to have to work four hours per hour.

Don't get me wrong, I'm down with fantasy. To dream, and escape, certainly has its place. But remember, the whole point of the poster's message has to do with the selection of a career. When it comes time to select your work, I recommend putting fantasy on the shelf. Unless, of course, you work for the Walt Disney company.

I believe better advice is to work both smart and hard. It's all about embracing the genius of and. Today we live in a knowledge economy. The two main creators of value are productivity and innovation. Both of which are applications of knowledge. So, for sure, we need to work smart.

It goes without saying that the organ of knowledge is the brain. If the brain is the main organ we use, I figure we should know how it works. For this reason, in the modern age, I believe it's very wise to study subjects like cognitive psychology. Which is exactly why I discuss emotions and paradoxes. Both are central elements in the life of the mind.

At the same time, life is largely built on competition. Especially in capitalist economies such as those which exist in North America. And, when competition reigns supreme, hard work is imperative. For example, take Mark Cuban. Cuban is a very smart guy. I don't believe it's possible to reach his level of success without being smart. Now, I don't know if the following quote is legitimately from Cuban, but I like the message nonetheless. Do you think Mark Cuban believes in working hard?