Monday, June 30, 2014

I am NOT proud to be an American


With all due respect to Lee Greenwood, I am not proud to be an American. I am THANKFUL to be American.

I think this is an important distinction that some people seem to overlook. I doubt anybody loves America more than I do. But, to be proud to be an American conjures up the idea of birthright. Let's be honest, you and I didn't do anything to create America. So how could we be proud? I feel lucky. In fact, I can't believe my good fortune. And, I think it's better that we be thankful to be in America.

As we all know, this week Americans will be celebrating the 4th of July. So, I figured it's a good time to say what needs to be said. Be thankful more than proud. Every day I try to be thankful that I was born in such an amazing country. I try to not take it for granted. Although I imagine that I screw up plenty.

An interesting guy, worth checking out, is the psychologist Robert Emmons. Emmons is up at UC Davis and he has written a neat book about the idea that gratitude is a very healthy state of mind (I know we didn't necessarily really need him to realize that.) But, I don't think the opposite, entitlement, is very good for us. And, I think being a proud American, when you didn't do anything to create this country, can be a definite form of entitlement. Most of us, who were born in America, did nothing to earn our American citizenship. It was bestowed upon us. I say we get rid of the prideful entitlement and focus more on being thankful.

Don't get me wrong, I understand why it's important to be proud. I understand that pride is adaptive when it binds together the members of a group. For example, the fans of the Oakland Raiders are proud of their team. That is to say they are proud to be in the group of people that root for the Raiders. So, I get it.

I understand why people say they are proud to be Americans. And, maybe it's foolish of me to bring this up during a holiday of alcohol and fireworks. Who knows. Maybe others will watch the fireworks and be thankful that a bunch of dudes, in Philadelphia, had the courage of their convictions. Or, maybe I should just shut up and reserve my gratitude for the alcohol and turkey holiday :)

At any rate. Cheerio. And, Happy Fourth of July!