Monday, September 12, 2016

The Trifecta




Over the last two weeks I have given you advice from billionaires. So, I figured, what the hell. Why not go for the hat trick?

This week's billionaire (entrepreneur) is Mark Cuban. I recently heard Cuban say, “There is nothing glamorous about being an entrepreneur. It is a grind. And, I grind, baby. I grind.”

This is important because so many people want to be Robert Mondavi. They want to sit on their chateau and sip Pinot. Sounds very sexy, I must agree. Too bad it ain't reality. You probably have a better chance of winning the lottery.

In the past, I have written about Anders Ericsson's 10,000 hour rule. Stated simply, achieving the glamorous life is anything but glamorous.

Felix Dennis is another example (pictured below.) In many ways Felix achieved the glamorous life. The end of his life was spent drinking wine and writing poetry (which was his true passion.)

The way Dennis achieved a glamorous life of passion was also through entrepreneurship. He spent about 40 years building a publishing empire. When asked if he was passionate about the publishing business, Dennis did not hesitate to say, “No.”

One strong piece of advice, which Dennis had for entrepreneurs, “Forget glamorous.”

Entrepreneurship is not about glamour, it is about value. Giving people the things they value. Because, for every Robert Mondavi, I can show you numerous Wayne Huizenga's. Dude made about a billion in the garbage business!

I am not telling you to get into waste disposal. I certainly wouldn't. What I am saying is what Mark Cuban said, “There is nothing glamorous about being an entrepreneur. It is a grind.” So, be prepared to grind.