Monday, October 31, 2016

Chopping down the tree


I do not know about you, but, I am a huge fan of The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People. In fact, kind of like Kouzes and Posner's book, I have written a number of posts about Stephen Covey's marvelous book. Click here and here and here

Today, let us remind ourselves of habit number seven.

Apparently, Abraham Lincoln once said something to the effect of, “Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe.” Stated differently, it is important to stay sharp.

This is the 7th habit, according to Stephen Covey, “Sharpen the saw.”

As an entrepreneur, I make a lot of cold calls. And, I am always amazed by how quickly I become rusty. I mean, I would like to consider myself a fairly intelligent person. But, it only takes a couple days-off to practically forget how to make effective phone calls.

Recently, I was somewhat reassured to hear something a Realtor friend of mine said. My friend's name is James. He makes an obscene number of cold calls. And, James said that after one day-off he has completely forgotten how to do his job.

I have found this to be true. I have also once heard cold calling guru Jarrod Glandt say, “It takes one day to get rusty.” For this reason, I try to make cold calls every single day. This is pretty much the only way I know of to stay sharp.

You can also stay sharp by role-playing. But, it can be hard to find consistent role-play partners. So, personally, I like to categorize my prospects into three lists: primary, secondary, and practice. Whenever I feel the rust, I simply call my practice list.