Monday, October 5, 2015

The Power of Effectiveness


This blog is titled, “On Effectiveness and Entrepreneurship,” two long and important words. These are two words that I am constantly reflecting on. Effectiveness may not be the most sexy word in the world. But, its byproducts are super sexy.

We are a country that is obsessed with success. Which is not a terrible idea. However, I believe a focus on success misses the point.

The difference between success and effectiveness is very subtle. Indeed, drawing such a distinction may seem artificial. It may seem to make no difference. But, there is a difference.

Success is a subjective, value-laden idea. What you define as success may be very different from what the next person thinks. In turn, it is very hard to have a discussion when people do not even agree on definitions.

For all of is lack of sex appeal, the word effectiveness is something we can agree on. Merriam-Webster defines effectiveness as, “The power to produce a desired result.”

Effectiveness is value-neutral. Meaning, the result you desire is completely up to you. And, whatever that result is, I support you in achieving it.

To produce/achieve your desired result, effectiveness is how you will get there. I strongly believe effectiveness is a sexy and important word.

The other day I pulled out my copy of Stephen Covey's seminal book, The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People. I first read Covey's work about ten years ago and it had a profound effect on me.

Any reader of this blog must know that I am a huge fan of Peter Drucker. What you may, or may not, know is that Covey himself was a loyal disciple of Drucker. So, not surprisingly, The 7 Habits forever changed the way I look at things.

Going forward I want to spend some time discussing Covey's seven habits. For obvious reasons, I will connect effectiveness to entrepreneurship. As we hopefully agree, entrepreneurship is not the end-all-be-all. But, it does provide the opportunity to give useful examples.

In my next post, I will discuss Covey's first habit. To Covey's way of thinking we must first win private victories before we can win public victories. Stated differently, the first three habits are private/personal. And, the second three habits are public, meaning they involve other people. In case you are a stickler, the seventh habit is universal.

Stephen Covey's first habit is, “Be Proactive,” an idea that sounds so simple as to be mundane. However, the more I reflect on the idea of being proactive, the more I realize how far it is from the mundane.

I will get into it next time. For now, I would encourage you to contemplate what it means to be proactive.