Saturday, March 28, 2015

This Blog is Changing....Slightly


I have long been thinking about becoming more focused with this blog. Previously, I had titled this blog, “On work, emotions, and paradoxes.” Ideas I am interested in because they are so complicated and sticky.

My problem is that the old title was a bit too confusing. Emotions run the gamut and do not tell the reader what to expect. And paradoxes, while fascinating and important, are not something people generally relate to.

Do not get me wrong, I will still talk about emotions and paradoxes, because they are an integral part of effectiveness and business. However, at least for now, I do want to focus on effectiveness and entrepreneurship.

I do not talk about “success” because it is dependent on a very subjective value judgment. In other words, success means different things to different people. I do, however, talk about effectiveness because effectiveness is about achieving your goals, whatever those goals may be.

Also, I talk about sales, and the profession of selling, because to be an entrepreneur means to be a salesperson. A fair number of people resist is this fact. To those people I quote author Dan Pink, “A world of entrepreneurs is a world of salespeople.”

Additionally, I am a big-time student of Tom Peters. If you do not know who Peters is, he's a pretty big bleepin' deal. He is the author of numerous books including In Search of Excellence and Thriving on Chaos. Because Peters is so great I have made a quote of his the sub-headline to this blog.

As you can see, Tom says, “All of life is sales. If you ain’t interested in sales, you ain't interested in getting things done. Period!” Part of what I love about that quote is how it succinctly illustrates the inseparable nature of selling and effectiveness.

As you may already know, a lot of my thinking, about effectiveness, is built on the teachings of Peter Drucker. So, Drucker will continue to feature prominently in this blog. That said, I am also a believer in drawing on genius wherever it may be found. So, many and diverse disciplines will be brought to bare on the beautifully deep topics of entrepreneurship, selling, and effectiveness. As Drucker himself said, business is a liberal art.

Thanks for sticking around, and please let me know what you think of the new focus.