Monday, November 11, 2013

The secret is...


...there are no secrets. This is a paradox that just needs to be said. And it kind of makes me giggle. Because a lot of people seem to be looking for secrets. Listen, if someone says they possess secrets, they're trying to sell you something. And, I can say that because I'm pretty sure, if you're reading this blog, you aren't looking for secrets.

I was torn as to whether or not I should write this blog post. Because I am all too aware of the advice, “If you can't beat 'em, join 'em.” And so I wonder if I'll ever sell secrets. Maybe someday. I mean, I most definitely am a salesman. I love selling and I'm well aware of its importance. I just wonder if we have to use such cheap shortcuts.

It seems like you can hardly pick up a book, at the bookstore, that doesn't have the word “secret” on the cover. And, lest you think I'm totally naive I'd like to quote a well-known author who said, “What most people don’t realize is that the authors of books have complete 100 percent control over what’s between the covers, but no control whatsoever over what goes on the cover. The cover is the company’s marketing piece.” By company he was, of course, referring to the publishing company. So, I understand the game. It just frustrates me. It just strikes me as a little too manipulative.

Don't get me wrong, I know there ARE tons of secrets in this world. But they are secrets about behaviors not principles. When somebody does something wrong, or something they're not proud of, of course they would want to keep it a secret. And, as the whole Edward Snowden thing unravels, we're reminded of the intelligence community's deserve for secrecy. But, again, what they're keeping secret are actions. Like spying on the chancellor of Germany and things of that nature. Everyone knows it happens, but the CIA doesn't want to admit it. It just puts egg on the face and takes away their favorite device, plausible deniabilty.

My complete quote should go something more like this, “The secret is, there are no secrets. There's just stuff you don't know.” I once heard a pithy joke that said something to the effect of, “If you want to hide something, put it in a library.” Silly but kind of true, wouldn't you say?

All of this secret crap really came to a head in 2006 with Rhonda Byrne. Listen, I watched The Secret, and I liked it. It did remind me to utilize the power of visualization. Visualization is a good thing, but it certainly isn't a secret. Instead of “The Secret” it could have been called “The Principle of Focused Effort.” But we both know it wouldn't have sold with that title. I think the worse part about it is when she called it The Law of Attraction.

If you are a big fan of Ms. Byrne's work, I hope I haven't offended you. I'm just calling it the way it is. I understand the marketing angle. By suggesting she has a “secret,” that is a “law,” she is giving a guarantee of sorts. Isn't that right? The "Theory of Attraction" doesn't said as certain, does it? To say that it's a law is an attempt to say the idea is immutable. That it's written in stone. That it's guaranteed. The problem is, if it doesn't work for you, you must be the defective one. I mean, if it's a law, your failure can't be the fault of the law, it's a law. What hogwash! Success is way too fickle to be guaranteed. If it were truly a law then more people would do it.

I realize this post might come off as whiny or negative or whatever. And that is most certainly NOT the point. My intention is to be helpful. If you spend too much time (heaven forbid your whole life) looking for secrets, you're going to be disappointed. I think it's better to commit to being a lifelong learner. Then, you'll come to know the real secret, when you haven't been able to find one. As TS Eliot famously said, "We shall not cease from exploration. And the end of all our exploring. Will be to arrive where we started. And know the place for the first time."

Happy New Year. Let's make it a good one!