Monday, June 3, 2013

Barter Kings


Have you seen the TV show Barter Kings? It airs on A&E and I think it's worth watching. I'm not sure just how staged and scripted the show is, but that's not the point. I say Barter Kings is worth watching, for all people in sales, and anybody who has to negotiate in general. These guys obviously know what they're doing.

When you watch Steve and Antonio (the two main characters) negotiate a barter deal, it's ridiculous how often they clean the floor with their opponent. Being so one-sided it clearly indicates a lot of editing. But if you can ignore all the Hollywood magic there are plenty of gems to pick up. First, and foremost, is the importance of asking questions.

In every deal you'll hear one of the guys ask why the other party wants to get rid of (whatever it is they're offering for barter.) Like moths to a flame, the other person almost always answers. Then the boys use that information as the exact reason the deal (which in invariably lop-sided) should be done. It's salesmanship 101. At one point, I'm pretty sure I heard either Steve or Antonio mention they used to sell cars. It's a small wonder because they've obviously got some skills.

If you've been in sales for any length of time, you already know the importance of asking questions. One of my favorite paradoxes is, “Questions are the answer.” But just because we know the importance of questions doesn't mean we always remember to use them. We all know the importance of eating healthy, but we often seem to forget, don't we?

What questions do we ask? Good question! Why not reflect on the advice of Neil Rackham and his SPIN Selling method? This system came out a long time ago but it's still highly effective. The acronym stands for Situation Problem Implication Need-Payoff. I won't get into right now but I will soon be posting an overview of Rackham's book. Do you think that would be helpful? If you send me an email I will send you the SPIN overview right now. Do you think you could use that?

Over the years, I have read numerous definitions of what it means to be a salesperson. But, unfortunately, I've never read one that really sums it up. So I came up with a definition of my own. To me a salesperson is, “A self-promoting problem-solver who is paid to persuade people.” However you wish to think about it, solving problems is at the heart of what sales is all about. Knowing this it becomes much easier to create good questions. Just think of the problems your product or service solves and then develop questions around those problems. You want questions that will probe your clients for needs. You will also want questions that will develop those needs so as to make them strong enough to get action.

In the meanwhile, check out Barter Kings. It's a good reminder of the importance of asking questions. An interesting, and added, dimension is the fact that Antonio has Tourette's syndrome. You can tell when the negotiation is a bit tense because he'll tend to exhibit a tic. The way I look at it is why not learn something while you're being entertained? It's the reason I still love that show Dirty Jobs with Mike Rowe.